|There are so many different types of glass it can be mind boggling.
Different parts of the world were home to fabulous glass-making. Some notable areas or companies are:
- Italy or Murano
- 19th century and early 20th century European paste and Vauxhall Glass
Then you have the different glass making processes, including:
- Wedding Cake
Different materials other than glass were sometimes added to add depth including:
- Gold to make Saphiret
- Metal to make Dragon's breath
- Minerals to make Cobalt or Vaseline Glass
- Reduction of oxygen to make goldstone
- Thin sheets of gold, silver or copper worked into the glass
Then you have the technique of art glass or multi-colored glass including:
- Mottled or Marbled
- Faux Peking Glass
And finally, some rhinestones can also be fabulous including:
- D & E (aka Juliana) Easter Egg stones
- Foiled Rhinestones
- Swarovski Romance Stones
- Tri-colored stones such as Watermelon
So much work was put into much of the old glass and sadly the recipe for some of the formulas have been lost.
I know the saying is cliche'...but in some cases they really don't make things like they used to.