Measuring your head for a wig
There are 3 sizes of wigs: Petite, Average and Large.
- Petite fits up to 21”.
- Average wigs fit heads from 21" to 22.5". All but a few of our customers fall into this range.
- Large fits heads from 22.5” to 24".
Measuring your head:
There are 3 primary measurements:
- Circumference: This measures the distance around your head. Starting at the center of the front hairline, place the tape flat against your head, going just above the ear towards the back of the head, keeping the tape at the nape of your neck and go around to the opposite side of your head, just above the opposite ear and returning to the center of the front hairline. Circumference = _______ inches. This is the size measurement. If you only make one measurement, this is the one you need.
- Front to Nape: This measures the length of your head from the front to the nape of your neck. To determine where the nape of your neck is, tilt your head back and look up. Where your neck bends and may even develop a skin fold, is where your nape is. You want the bottom of the wig to sit right above this area so that when you do tilt your head back that far, your wig will not shift on your head. This area is often right at the occipital bone, but be sure to take the measurement with your neck bent down so that you are looking at your shoes. Starting at the front hairline, measure directly across the middle top of your head to the area that you have determined is your nape. Front to Nape = ____ inches.
Front to Nape
- Ear to Ear: From the ear over the top to the other ear.
Ear to Ear over the Top
Your wig should settle into your natural hairline, a few inches above your eyebrows. The back of the wig should come down to the natural hairline (nape) in the back. Most wigs have an adjustable tabs in the back. These tabs allow you to adjust the circumference of your wig for the best and most comfortable fit.
Please make sure to measure your head prior to ordering so you can make sure to order the proper size. If you have any questions, please contact us My eBay or Contact Seller button so we can assist you.
HOW TO ENLARGE A WIG
If you need just a little more room in your wig cap, just follow these easy directions.
Step 1: Take your wig cap and turn it inside out and locate the ear tabs. This is a triangle shaped section found behind your ears.
Locate Ear Tab
Step 2: Locate the portion of the ear tab which is part of the main wig circumference.
Step 3. Take your scissors and snip the small portion of the ear tab which is on the main wig circumference.
Please be careful to only cut the fabric portion of the wig cap and not the weft of hair themselves.
Step 4. Turn wig over and do steps 2 and 3 again.
Now if you would like a little more security, you take these optional steps as well.
Sew into the wig cap a few pressure sensitive clips (also known as toupee clips or duckbill clips). Sew in 2 clips - one on each side to secure the wig more snugly.
If the wig is a little too loose…
Step 1. Find the elastic bands at the nape of neck. These are usually used to tighten the wig. If you are enlarging the wig, then you don’t need these here.
Step 2. Find the top of the strap and remove them on both sides.
Step 3. Cut about 1 inch of each strap.
Step 4. Sew this piece into the opening made when you cut the small portion of the ear tab. Do this only if the wig becomes too large after your initial snip of the ear tab.